THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 27, 2009

In December one of my neighbors called to chat and mentioned that she noticed that my in-laws were home again. She asked where they had been and I told her that they were on a mission in Palmyra, NY. She asked what they were doing there and I felt impressed to tell her about Joseph Smith and the First Vision. After I told about it there was a somewhat awkward pause and she said, "Ok, bye" and hung up the phone. The next day she called back and said, "I've been thinking a lot about what you told me and I feel like I want some more spirituality in my life. Does your church offer any Bible study classes?" I told her that I could call some missionaries to come to my house and they would be happy to talk to us about the Bible. Her father was a member (he passed away) but her mother was Catholic and she has always believed in God but not been very active in her church because she felt that it did not "warm her soul." Anyway, through a series of missionary discussions she has come to the point where she accepted baptism and is planning on being baptized next Saturday by her Grandpa. It has been amazing for me, a person who never went on a mission, to be part of this miraculous experience and see the way the gospel touches people's lives. I always assumed that I would be too sceptical, disinterested, or stubborn to accept the gospel if I hadn't been raised with it all my life, but while I was listening to the missionaries tell the story of the First Vision, the Spirit was so very strong and I felt that I would have accepted the gospel even if my circumstances had been different. If you had told me a few months ago that one of my neighbors would be getting baptized and asked me to guess which one, I am quite sure I would have guessed wrong, which just goes to show you that you never know about people.

1 comments:

The Bentley Family said...

This is an awesome story. I assume this is posted by Kathy, but there is no name...Aren't charlie's parents in NY? Steve