With all the talk in the news as to what constitutes a marriage, and the many individuals that choose not to commit themselves to a relationship at all, I want to share my feelings.
Marriage between a man and a woman is not easy. We are different in the way we think, the way we act as well as in the way we look. Even after 42 ½ years of marriage Dad and I are still working on "not offending or taking offense," and I expect we will continue to work at it until we die. Let's face it: It is easier do things our own way and not have to consider another person. It is difficult not to want to change the little irritating habits of our spouse. And it is tough not to "react" to a volatile situation rather than calmly talking it through. But, I've come to recognize and appreciate that this sacred institution of marriage is an amazing blessing to help us develop the character traits and personality we need to become true disciples of Jesus Christ. I can also testify that as we have called upon the third member of our temple marriage, and relied upon His atonement to overcome the "natural man and woman" our relationship has become sweeter and more beautiful.
Today I was cross referencing my scriptures. Have you ever compared section 4 of the D&C to marriage? Try it. IE. :
Now behold a great and marvelous marriage is about to come forth… Therfore, O ye that embark in the service of your spouse, see that ye serve him with all your heart (feelings), might (power), mind (thoughts) and strength (work), that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day… And behold faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify you for marriage. Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence. Ask, and ye shall receive (ask specifically for blessings); knock (work) and it shall be opened unto you.
I love you. I love who you've married. May you continue to work and call upon the Lord that your temple marriages may become celestial and eternal marriages. Forever, Mom
0 comments:
Post a Comment